Rugby 06 challenges gamers to compete in a host of the World's most prestigious rugby competitions including the Six Nations, Lions Tour, Tri Nations, Guinness Premiership and the Super 14. The game's exhilarating gameplay now mirrors the real thing closer than ever before, with new moves such as off-load passes, quick line-outs and quick penalties that encourage attacking, momentum-driven rugby. Gamers can also dictate play with their star Impact Players and can choose from a legion of new set plays to pile on the pressure and keep their opponents firmly on the back foot. Get into the game with TV-style presentation, stadiums from all over the world, including Twickenham, Lansdowne Road, the Millennium stadium and Murrayfield and commentary from the respected commentator Ian Robertson and All Black legend Grant Fox.
- Impact Players: Rugby 06 captures the abilities of world's finest Rugby stars. Users can utilize these abilities and if called upon in the right situation, the star player can have a key "Impact" on the outcome of the match.
- Increased Tactical Plays: Over 25 tactical set plays can be mapped to the controller. This allows the user the option of choosing/changing the plays in accordance to what they believe to be the most effective or that which best suits their playing style.
- Off-Loading Passing: Players can pass out of a tackle. By being able to off load the ball once the defender has been drawn into the tackle, users can exploit the gaps that will be left by those defenders. This feature will also allow for a more flowing game.
- Comprehensive Commentary: Legendary former All Black's star Grant Fox provides all new commentary along with updated commentary by Ian Robertson. A combination of the two creates an authentic and realistic sounding in-game commentary.
- Enhanced Stadiums and Conditions: Improved stadium visuals include rolling banners, improved textures, 3D grass accompanied by different pitch patterns and team specific animated flags. The stadiums are complimented by new weather conditions such as snow and fog, with visible player breath and steam off the packs in cold weather conditions.
- World League Mode: Rugby 06 incorporates a number of career mode enhancements to give a more compelling world league experience. Users can try to build a super team by making use of the in depth transfer market at their disposal. With all new club objectives and performance based offers from rival clubs, only the best managers will survive.
- Quick Penalties & Lineouts: Users can now execute quick penalties immediately after it has been called. This feature if used in right situations is designed to continue the games objective on improved and freer flowing gameplay. The same principle has been applied to the all new quick lineouts which users can utilize, in order to maintain the pace or flow of an attack.