When should I use Safe Mode?
Safe Mode should be used when the PlayStation 3 system will not start normally.
How do I access Safe Mode?
- Check that the power indicator on the PlayStation 3 system is solid red.
- Press and hold the PlayStation 3 system’s power button for ten seconds. The PlayStation 3 system will shut down.
- Release the power button.
- Press and hold the power button for seven seconds. Two short beeps will be emitted and a message will be displayed on-screen.
- Press the PS button on the wireless controller to start the PlayStation 3 system in Safe Mode.
What are the Safe Mode options?
- Restart System: Exit Safe Mode and start the PlayStation 3 system normally.
- Restore Default Settings: Restore all default settings and delete PlayStation Network account information. You will need to activate your PlayStation 3 system again in order to play downloaded content.
- Restore File System: Attempt to repair all areas of the Hard Disk Drive (HDD) where files can be saved. If corrupted data cannot be recovered, it may be erased.
- Rebuild Database: Return adjusted settings to the default configuration and restore files. Messages, playlists, etc
- Restore PS3 System: Perform a quick format of the PlayStation 3 system memory in order to restore the system.
- System Update: Update the PlayStation 3 system software via a mass storage device.