What is Safe mode?
Safe mode is a feature for starting the PlayStation 3 system with the minimum required functionality when the system is no longer able to start up normally
By starting up the system in this mode and executing a menu option, you may be able to eliminate any issues you are experiencing.
When should I use Safe Mode?
Safe mode is available in PlayStation 3 system software version 2.60 or later. Execute safe mode when the PlayStation 3 exhibits the following symptoms:
- When the PlayStation 3 system is started up, the PlayStation 3 Home Menu is not displayed (only the wave screen background appears).
- When the PlayStation 3 system is started up, nothing appears on the screen.
- When the PlayStation 3 system is started up, a message stating [The hard disk's file system is corrupted and will be restored.] is displayed. After selecting [OK] the system restores and restarts. Original message is displayed again or the system stops during restoration.
- When the PlayStation 3 system is started up, a message stating [The hard disk's database will be rebuilt.] is displayed. After selecting [OK] the rebuild operation starts and fails.
- The system stops while formatting hard disk drive.
- The system stops while restarting after a PlayStation 3 system update or while updating or rebuilding the database. The situation does not improve even when the system is restarted.
What do I need to do to start my PlayStation 3 in Safe Mode?
- Verify that the power indicator on the PlayStation 3 system is solid red, and then turn off the MAIN POWER switch.
- Turn on the MAIN POWER switch, then touch and hold the power button.
- Keep touching the power button even after you hear a short beep after 5 seconds.
- After 10 seconds, you will hear another short beep and the system will shut down (release the button at this point).
- Touch and hold the power button again.
- Continue touching the power button even after you hear a short beep after 5 seconds.
- Release the button when two short beeps are emitted after 7 seconds.
- As instructed by the on-screen message, press the PS button to start up in safe mode.